A Voice for Choice Advocacy's mission is to educate and advocate for informed choice and transparency of what goes into people’s body, including the composition, quality, and short- and long-term health effects of food and pharmaceutical products and their rights to be informed consumers to know what they put in their bodies.
ABOUT THE LEGISLATOR DIRECTOR OPPORTUNITY
As a lead member of our legislative team, reporting to our President, our Legislative Director will play a key role in strengthening AVFCA’s relationships with CA state legislators. Our Legislative Director will work closely with our President and lobbyists to proactively get bills authored, to support bills that align with our mission and to defensively stop or amend “bad” bills.
This role is for an experienced legislative advocate who is passionate about AVFCA’s mission and enjoys the challenge of working inside the Capitol.
- Start date: Immediate
- Work week: 30-40 hours a week
- Terms: Contracted role, with 60 day trial period.
- Level: Mid-senior
- Compensation: Competitive compensation. Due to contractual role, no insurance or PTO
- Location: Unlike most roles at AVFCA this role is not remote and requires weekly visits to the Capitol when the legislature is in session. Therefore it is preferable that you are located within 2 hours of Sacramento.
- Apply: Our application process is open and will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Apply below.
RESPONSIBILITIES & OUTCOMES
- Strategize to determine and execute the next year’s bills to author, oppose/amend and support
- Lobby CA state legislators and staff on key AVFCA bills
- Collaborate on strategic initiatives with other organizations
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
Ideal candidates will have some combination of the following:
- 3+ years advocacy/lobbying experience, including lobbying state legislators and/or local elected officials
- 3+ years working in the State Capitol, with good standing legislator relationships
- 3+ years grassroots community building experience
- Demonstrated experience in AVFCA mission-aligned work
- Demonstrated commitment to informed choice and transparency of health rights
- Strategic thinker, systems thinker
- Exceptional verbal and written communicator
- Highly adaptable, adjusting effectively to complexity and changing conditions
- High integrity
- AVFCA encourages individuals of all learning styles, ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position. Additionally, research has shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for roles unless they believe they meet all of the qualifications. We encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of our qualifications described as we are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to supporting this work.
- AVFCA is an equal opportunity employer and considers all applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, alienage or citizenship status, marital or familial status, domestic partnership status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, change of sex or transgender status, genetic information, medical condition, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, physical or mental disability, any protected military or veteran status, or status as a victim of domestic or dating violence, sexual assault or offense, stalking, or any other characteristics protected by federal, state or local law or that of persons with whom that individual associates, or any other legally protected characteristics.
To apply for AVFCA's Legislative Director Position, please complete this form: